>  Roberto> Why is rejecting surrogates a backwards step?
>
> Rejecting surrogates is a forward step, that's not the problem.
>
> Accepting values over 10FFFF is the backward step.

Did you read the documentation? By default the functions reject any
value over 10FFFF. They only accept these values if you give an explicit
parameter for that end. You explicitly says: I want invalid codes.
That, as others pointed out, may be useful for other purposes.

If you want to accept invalid codes, it is not the lack of this
parameter that will stop you.

(Again, did you read the documentation? Maybe that point is not
clear there?)

-- Roberto