On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:46 AM Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sharing state means that Lua is reentrant. And it is reentrant, modulo bugs like the one under discussion. Thread-safety is a stronger guarantee that says that the code will avoid stepping on its own toes if two threads access the SAME state at the same time.

Some people believe otherwise. Wikipedia's page on reentracy has example that demonstrate that these two terms are not in a weaker/stronger relationship.

In my opinion, when we say that something is thread-safe, reentrant or not, this tends to be ambiguous unless we specify fully the expectations and the actual behaviour, as I hope I did in my original message.

Cheers,
V.