Hi everyone,

I'm happy to share the news that LuaRocks was one of the accepted
organizations for Google Summer of Code 2019, and we're accepting
project submissions from students!

Google Summer of Code ( https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/ ) is an
international annual program, in which Google awards stipends to
students who successfully complete a free and open-source software
coding project during the summer. The program is open to university
students. The coding period goes from May 27 to August
19 (that is, the summer break in the Northern Hemisphere).

This year we're broadening the scope of the LuaRocks org, including
Lua projects that contribute to the overall LuaRocks ecosystem
(meaning not only code contributions to the LuaRocks and luarocks.org
codebases).

== Applying to the program ==

Check out our ideas page and find a project you are interested in:

https://luarocks.github.io/luarocks/gsoc/ideas2019.html

If you are an eligible student and wish to apply, you should contact
the mentor for the project you are interested by email and also say hi
at our Gitter group:

http://gitter.im/luarocks/luarocks

Once you find a project you are interested in, you should contact the
mentor for that project by email, including the responses for this
questionnaire:

https://luarocks.github.io/luarocks/gsoc/apply2019.html

If your application looks appropriate, the mentor may ask you to
perform some small task related to the project to assess your
abilities, and discuss with you how to best present your proposal
which then needs to be submitted in
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com. Proposals are accepted up to
April 9, 2017, but get in touch with your
prospective mentor now!

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/4976848319021056/

Join us and come hack LuaRocks this next summer! (...or winter if
you're in the Southern Hemisphere! :) )

Cheers!

-- Hisham