On Thu, Dec 13, 2018, 16:32 David Favro <lua@meta-dynamic.com wrote:

On December 13, 2018 9:01:52 PM UTC, Egor Skriptunoff <egor.skriptunoff@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:15 PM Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
>> it seems easier to just
>> limit the maximum number of '=' in a long bracket. I don't think
>people
>> will mind a limit of 1000.
>
>IMO, it's not a good idea.
>If this limit is N, then minimal size of non-quotable string is about
>0.5*N^2

What's a "non-quotable string"?

Am I missing something or can't any string be represented as a literal with e.g. double-quote (") as delimiter and appropriate escaping of special characters?  If so, I don't see your definition of "non-quotable", could you elaborate?

A string that starts with `[====[`, assuming the limit of `=` in a delimiter were 4.