Appreciate all the discussion. I have experience with this before and yes its not simple to do it properly.
For now though, I'm in a tight time frame and need a simple solution that works with non - https solution. The closest I see is the curl wrapper that is mentioned. Any other ideas?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM Daurnimator <quae@daurnimator.com> wrote:
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 at 04:36, Srinivas Murthy
<the.srinivas.murthy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a lua http lib that supports keepalive? Using a "local HTTP proxy" will still be a significant overhead if the client still has to setup a new conn for each req. These are streaming events and could be very frequent.

lua-http is gaining support for it soon
https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http/pull/121
It's a much trickier problem than you may think at the surface!
especially once SSL is involved (and infact I have found bugs in
nginx's and curl's implementations while doing research for
lua-http's)