On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM Edgar Toernig wrote:
Hi Egor,

sorry for sending this directly to you but I'm no longer subscribed to lua-l
and can't post it there.

> My suggestion is to replace "global by default" approach with "nothing by
> default" by introducing special syntax for accessing global variables:

Browsing through the pile-up of lua-l mails I found your article and just
want to let you know that, contrary to most of the negativ replies, I totally
agree with your proposal.  So much that I once (in 2013, for Lua 5.2) even
did a patch that implements it ;-)

I had one difference though: the parser starts in regular lua mode and only
if it detects the first $-sign it switches to "explicit globals" mode for
that chunk.  That way it was 100% backwards compatible.

Ciao, ET.

Thanks, Edgar.
I like it too - when a new feature is simultaneously useful and 100% backwards compatible.
So, you've made a patch for parsing $-globals 5 years ago?
Nice!