... or it should use it more effectively.

I recently installed 'luasec' because 'luarocks search sqlite' gives
me about two seconds to look at this message:

    Warning: falling back to wget - install luasec to get native HTTPS support

before starting to display Search Results.

I looked with gratification at nothing, which turned into dismay when
it now gave me nine seconds to do so.

I have no experience with luasec, having managed to get by with
luacurl, but surely if we are warned that we should install it, it is
not unreasonable to expect that the experience will then be better?