Op Ma., 3 Sep. 2018 om 10:52 het Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> geskryf:

> On a related note, I was recently browsing source files for a game in
> "The Battle for Wesnoth" open-source game engine (strategic, turn-based,
> fantasy-oriented). It is scripted in Lua, but it uses a DSL (WML -
> Wesnoth Markup Language) for campaign/scenarios definitions.
>
> In one of the WML files of a user-defined campaign, inside a side AI
> definition block I read the following line (and it was repeated in 2
> other spots in the code):
>
> aggresion = 1
>
> That, of course, is a blatant spelling mistake, but was buried deep into
> code written (quite well) by a probably non-English-speaking developer.

If a programmer uses the word "aggresion", it means precisely what the
Humpty Dumpty inside them chooses it to mean — neither more nor less.
There is no right or wrong here. The question is, which is to be
master — that's all.

It's no more eccentric than the British insistence on the French
spelling "colour" and and the pseudo-Greek spelling "sulphur" despite
the fact that, as all good Americans know, those words come from Latin
and should therefore be spelled "color" and "sulfur".

Come to think of it, "aggresion" may even be a word, formed from a
verb "aggrede" like "collision" is formed from "collide". Where's my
copy of the collected works of Sir Edmund Spenser?

-- Dirk