> Am 01.08.2018 um 00:16 schrieb Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk>:
>
> Are there features in Lua that could be removed to create a simpler language?

Obviously, syntactic sugars could be removed, as they do not add to the power of the language.

> Of course 'simpler' needs to be defined.
>
> Simpler for users?
> Simpler for implementors?

Exactly.  Removing aforementioned syntactic sugars would make the code a bit harder to read, and less maintainable, imo.

> Often these are conflicting goals.
>
> I, for instance, never use co-routines ... and I know they add a bunch
> of complexity both from implementation and user point of view.
>
> Another feature I never use is inheritance - at most I use simple class objects.

Lua has no inheritance.

In general, I would probably not remove anything and not add much.  But then, nobody asks me and I am not in charge ;)