On 08/01/2018 01:16 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> Are there features in Lua that could be removed to create a simpler language?

For me it is not well-placed question. Answer depends
on what you need. For example garbage collector may be
dropped for certain class of scripts.

>>From syntactical point of view Lua is simple language.
It's ABNF syntax may be written on three A4 pages.
But some syntax sugar may be technically dropped:
 * three types of quotes,
 * two-plus character quoting possibilities,
 * ":",
 * "," or ";" in table constructors,
 * "t.a" (may be changed to "t['a']")

There are also features and functions which I use rarely:

* coroutines (never used yet but planning in next ten years),
* metatables (not wish to use (except when have to)),
* integers and C-like bit operands (kool, but not crucial),
* string.reverse() (anyone used it?)

-- Martin