On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 3:43 PM Frank Kastenholz <fkastenholz@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2018, at 4:04 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Could you please do an IBM System/370 circa 1990? That's where I learned to
>> code, and I still miss that indestructible keyboard.
>
> Was it very different from the System/360 (my second machine)? Did it still have
> the Translate and Test instruction?

If I remember right
The 370 was fully backwards compatible with the 360
The big changes, iirc, were the 370 added virtual memory (only available on the 360/67) and some new/different/better I/o channels

Yep. Ok, apologies, we're a bit off topic. IBM pretty much invented the concept of computer architecture in the early 60s - one instruction set, many possible hw implementations (I can provide refs to some books if you're interested). So I'm pretty sure the move from 360 to 370 involved extensions, not breaking changes.

These days you can run just about anything on a mainframe, that's why I'm wondering if anybody is actually running Lua that way.