It was thus said that the Great Egor Skriptunoff once stated:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Petri Häkkinen wrote:
>
> > you probably understand why having to prefix every global with $ would
> > make our eyes hurt...
> >

> Actually I didn't understand why.

  I can't give an objective reason, but for me, using sigils for scope
(which is what Ruby does if I recall correctly) triggers my aesthetic
sensibilities.

  Anyone can get used to anything [1], thus the subjectivity.

> > I also think typos in variable names are pretty easy to find and fix.
>
> I don't think so.
> Typo in local variable name may result in hard-to-find bug.

  I've used luacheck to find typos and inadvertant globals.  It's easy to
use, and if you use some form of source control, most give you a way to run
scripts prior to code checkin, so you could have the checkin fail if
luacheck finds an issue.

  Does it suck to have to use another tool?  I don't know.  For me, it's
worth it.

  -spc

[1]	http://boston.conman.org/2008/01/04.1

	Yes, I was used to seeing BASIC presented that way.  Doesn't mean I
	would accept that now.  I got better.