> ...which directly impacted the coding of modules by eliminating setfenv()
> (sp?) and module(), the latter of which was used in almost all pure Lua 5.1
> modules. There were also significant breaking changes to the C functions for
> setting up extension modules, which now force (if compatibility with both
> 5.1 and 5.2/5.3 is desired) the use of #if/#else/#endif directives to take a
> different code path for 5.1.

You need such directives anyway even between 5.2 and 5.3.

As someone who came to Lua just as 5.2 beta was being released, I am
not very literate in 5.1.

In hindsight, since Lua 5.1 ruled for six years, its successor should
have been named Lua 6.0. Then backwards compatibility would
psychologically seem to be an unreasonable expectation.