On May 16, 2018, at 2:12 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

If what everyone here say is true, "Lua Programming Gems" is wrong
(unless it is trying to *redefine* the meaning of % faster)

That tells you precisely how the the terms "faster" and "slower" are
used _in that article_, in order to avoid misunderstanding by readers
whose usage may be different.

The article remove %faster ambiguity, but still is misleading.
Readers will not know it can only be used _in that article_.

I thought it were just a *reminder* of terms, not a re-definition.
A better reminder is to say X% faster meant X% faster in speed.

Another case of "faster" re-definition:

https://www.livescience.com/27920-quantum-action-faster-than-light.html

Spooky! Quantum Action Is 10,000 Times Faster Than Light

How fast do quantum interactions happen?
Faster than light, 10,000 times faster

It is exactly the same kind of remark as:

I ALWAYS use speed ratio, say 1.143X, to avoid this ambiguity

except that it does not confidently claim "ALWAYS".

But I DO !

Speed ratio is much more precise than "% faster"
(Besides, I were un-sure what "% faster" meant ...)