On May 15, 2018, at 11:12 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

When I say that a program is "X% times faster" than another it means
that it runs in % less time. (A program 100% faster would take no time
to run).  When I say that a program is "X% times slower" than another
I mean that the other is % faster.  (A program 50% slower means that
it takes twice the time).

That tells you precisely how the the terms "faster" and "slower" are
used _in that article_, in order to avoid misunderstanding by readers
whose usage may be different.

… except he *defines* the phrase “X% times faster” but then *uses* the phrase “100% faster” and not “100% times faster”.

I’m not entirely sure “X% times faster” is a good choice. What is “10% times faster” supposed to mean? It certainly *doesnt* mean “10% faster”, nor does it mean “1/10th times faster”.

—Tim