On 12 May 2018 at 16:21, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm very pleased that you've picked up supporting Torch. I'd like to
> throw some support behind you because I have a goal of getting Torch onto
> the RTEMS operating system. Send me an email or some instructions on how
> you'd like us to participate? Have you let the Torch team know you are
> keeping support for Lua up to date?

I guess my efforts are still in their infancy so I have not shared
outside of this forum. PyTorch is moving rapidly - and in their wisdom
the team over there are migrating from C to C++. I very much like the
'legacy' approach of writing C code only. In any case it is not clear
for how long the upstream changes can be merged due to this and plans
at PyTorch to refactor the code.

I tried merging some of the latest changes this weekend, but have hit
some issues. The NN tests now crash or fail in some cases.

So I guess the main effort needed is to a) just try to merge upstream
changes, and b) make sure everything keeps working - i.e. the existing
tests pass. This in itself is a big task. The other minimal thing we
could do is to add additional tests and fix bugs / issues. Fixing bugs
is non-trivial though as it is a large code base and when an error
occurs in some shared library somewhere debugging is not so simple. I
need to look at the option of building a statically linked version.

The other worthwhile thing would be to get it up on LuaRocks.

Regards
Dibyendu