On 5/5/2018 7:28 PM, Albert Chan wrote:

On May 5, 2018, at 3:23 AM, KHMan wrote:

On 5/5/2018 12:08 PM, Albert Chan wrote:
Reading Vigna latest xoshiro paper (section 11, conclusion),
next version of Lua will use xoshiro256** for math.random.
Is it true ?
Lua 5.4 ?
http://vigna.di.unimi.it/ftp/papers/ScrambledLinear.pdf

IMHO, math.random is similar in purpose to C standard library's random function. It's pseudo-random, that's about it. It does not promise any quality specifications.

Are there serious flaws that disqualifies the current implementation from this purpose?

I just want to check if Vigna's claim is correct.
It would be bad if he just use Lua to promote xoshiro256**

This is from his xoshiro paper, conclusion (section 11)
http://vigna.di.unimi.it/ftp/papers/ScrambledLinear.pdf

The combination of xoroshiro/xoshiro and suitable scramblers provides a wide range of high- quality and fast solutions for pseudorandom number generation. Parallax has embedded xoroshiro128** and xoroshiro32++ in their recently designed Propeller 2 microcontroller; xoroshiro116+ is the stock generator of Erlang, and the next version of the popular embedded language Lua will sport xoshiro256** as stock generator.

Personal opinion: Sounds like cheerleading to me. Don't bet your life savings on it. :-) :-p

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)