On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 1:46 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> the idea of wrapping lua in a batch script makes me sad

About emotions there is no disputing ...

A swig of bourbon, straight, is said to a wonderful cure for sadness.
I find I am quite allergic to bourbon. I break out in black eyes and hand-cuffs.  ;)

> In the end, modifying Lua itself seems like the best approach?

Any question that reaches this answer is one step short. "Or maybe
just ditch the notion?"
Quite right. I ended there a few times. I've meditated on conformance and expectations of users as well. I'm not considering modifying the way lua works other than where the configuration and executables come from. Lua.org can't really go there due to the nature of lua (The ethos? ISO C conformance...).

I am also fond of chasing my tail if you haven't yet noticed. PIL often refers to the fact that the Lua interpreter is really a case study for learning the Lua API.

Russ