>> I wonder if You could use LuaTex...
>
> I don't know what Dirk's use case actually is, but if the context would
> eventually be TeX, that sounds like a calling for TikZ -- programmatically
> creation of vector graphics. Albeit neither Lua nor SVG required.

My main use case is including charts into web pages but also in
printable documents, which may bne made by TeX or by Word. SVG has the
advantage that my browser can display it directly. TeX is the least
convenient for this purpose, but I am not allergic to Makefiles that
do the required conversion to e.g. PNG.