> On 16 Mar 2018, at 05:16, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Lua Team,
>
> Microsoft has "graciously" offered the VC Build tools sans Visual Studio for 2017. The install is still around 6.8 gigs, but it means a compiler and nmake are present. Is there any interest in adding an nmake file to the Lua sources?
>
> I took a brief stab at it today when I was testing the VS Build tools (like 15 minutes). I will continue picking at it if there is any interest. I get several "whack tons" of warnings I'll have to look into [1] :
>
> c:\users\russh\lua\lua-5.4.0-work1\src\lua.c(560) : warning C4711: function 'dochunk' selected for automatic inline expansion
>
> Cheers,
>
> Russ
>
> [1] Whack Tons: The official unit for measuring compiler warnings you don't know what to do with
>
> <Makefile.mak>

Have you tried luawinmake [1]? It will build Lua on Windows using native tools, I just added 5.4 support.

Thijs

PS. Tested with gcc toolchains, Windows SDKs, Visual Studio 2008 - 2015. I’d be interested in the VS 2017 result.

[1] https://github.com/Tieske/luawinmake/pull/14 (feature branch with 5.4-work1 support)