Very interesting implementation, article and discussion. I'm not in dire need of arrays in Lua but I believe it would make things a bit nicer. I tend to make arrays more than I make tables, although I might be biased to do so because of LuaJIT coding practices.

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Petri Häkkinen <petrih3@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2018, at 12.09, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I.e. the patch without using arrays already does quite a lot better
> than work1 does; is that just because of the nature of this benchmark
> or is there a good reason why that should happen in general?

Unfortunately that’s not the case. The patch does nothing to speed up tables.

For some reason or another, you are not getting apples to apples benchmark results.

Could you have different compiler settings when building 5.4 and the array patch? Or maybe official 5.4 distribution and official lua github repo are doing some things differently?

Anyway, to get absolute comparison results with and without  arrays, you can clone ”unmodified” branch from lua-array repository. That’s the state from where I begun working on the patch.

Petri