Yes "strong"is too long - what I meant was your original proposal of using setmetatable and __mode - it morphed into "make every table a strong one" so I wanted to bring the discussion back to this; I think it's a good proposal and I haven't read any good technical arguments against it yet.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> What was the reason we don't use:
>
> setmetatable(t, { __mode = 'strong' })

It uses too many letters.

At present 'k' means keys are weak, 'v' means values are weak. Just
's' or maybe 'S' (strong feels as it it should be capitalized) would
be enough.