Just to stress the point that I'm not the only one thinking this,
this tweet [1] is by the author of Redis and this [2] is one of its
users.

Lua is a very good language for the embedded (in software)
use case because of its implementation, but I see more and
more people who can afford it choose things like Python
because of small details like this, indices starting at one and
the operators that don't look like the languages most people
know (C / Java / etc). I don't mind about those last two
personally, except that they hurt adoption and sometimes
force me to use languages with no first class functions or
broken scoping instead, because believe it or not a lot of
people actually care more about the former topics than the
latter.

[1] https://twitter.com/antirez/status/973583167415357440
[2] https://twitter.com/itamarhaber/status/973584419100463104

--