On 15 March 2018 at 22:21, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> On 15 March 2018 at 11:43, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My understanding is that PUC Lua team is like Linux kernel team -
>> building the basis for userland to do the rest. Torvalds certainly has
>> opinions about userland (e.g. his fights with Gnome) but he is not
>> part of its decision making.
>>

> Am not sure this is a good comparison. Firstly because Linus operates
> a completely different model of development which is based on
> hierarchy of trusted maintainers. Secondly because there are big
> companies doing the rest.

Actually It is also a wrong analogy ... as the Kernel itself is a very
large piece of software, and Linus relies on many contributors /
companies to keep it all working. The rest of the OS is not part of
the kernel at all. It is like saying Lua should start worrying about
what users of Lua are doing - as the rest of the OS 'userland' as you
call it - are users of the Kernel, not part of it.

Regards