On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:42 PM, Sean Conner wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with Roberto's reasoning here to prevent
code breakage.  Any code using the bit operators of Lua 5.3 can't be
used under Lua 5.2 and he seemed fine with that.  I'm not sure why
didn't do
                undef x[3]
Why is 5.4 compatibility with 5.3 important, but not 5.3 to 5.2?

You can write a program without bit operations
(or you can emulate bit operations with arithmetic),
and such program will be runnable on both 5.2 and 5.3

But you can't write a program without deleting keys from a table!
This operation is VERY necessary!
Otherwise you will get memory leakage in 5.4
With undef t[key] 5.4 syntax, you will be unable to write a program
for both 5.3 and 5.4 simultaneously
(without load()-ing version-specific source, of course)