I have checked the content of the APK of a slightly modified version of Waze [1].

It looks like Lua is used for two purposes: skins and small scripts [2].

According to cloc, the "scripts" directory contains 425 lines of Lua code,
while the scripts directory contains 9064 lines.

[1] https://forum.frandroid.com/topic/248852-waze-cge/
[2] https://gist.github.com/catwell/cc3c1b6212af8fcb5b67c8b1fd24dfdf

--
Pierre Chapuis