It should be mentioned in that context, that LuaJIT targets Lua 5.1
and has no intention to be fully 5.3 compatible in the future:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lua/comments/2zutj8/mike_pall_luajit_dislikes_lua_53/

So if you want extra speed, you have to stick with 5.1 for the time being.

Heinrich

On 8 February 2018 at 17:40, Viacheslav Usov <via.usov@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:04 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> If you embed Lua in C, I suppose you will get symbol conflicts, so you will
> have to modify the source of one of the versions to prefix exported symbols.

I have done this once or twice with success. I can dig up the tools
I've used if there is any interest.

The following suggestion/request has been sitting in my drafts for some time.

A make-time option to include Lua API pointers in the Lua state structure, so that, for example, lua_absindex could be alternatively called as, for example, L->api->absindex(L, -1) and a related make-time option that defines all API functions as macros such that, for for example,  lua_absindex(L, -1) expands into  L->api->absindex(L, -1). The purpose of this is manifold, including (1) a possibility to host Lua as a statically linked library while loading external C-language Lua libraries and (2) eventually a possibility to host multiple versions of Lua.

Is that just a wild fantasy?

Cheers,
V.

--