when I want to migrate to the new Lua, I faced the big problem is "table.getn" is no longer exist. so I still use Lua 5.1.

From: Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin@gmail.com>
Date: 2018/02/08 14:05
Subject: Re: Fosdem talk on pain of moving from Python 2.x to 3.x

We've been using Lua 5.1 as a tool to give our users scripting functionality for nearly 10 years now. It's working well, but as our motto is not to break backwards compatibility, it seems at this point we are eternally stuck with 5.1 as I'm not seeing much by the way of migration tools being available. There are just custom patches to future Lua versions that add backwards compatibility, but building a non-standard Lua version is another whole world of pain.

Is anyone in a similar position? How are you looking at migrating to newer Lua versions?