On 28 January 2018 at 16:40, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:

> I have always wanted to (but haven't managed to yet) bundle some high
> quality libraries with Ravi in a well tested combination with support
> for Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. Is there a list of the best essential
> libraries for Lua? I want to bundle a small set of high quality
> libraries that I will test with Ravi, rather than a huge set of
> untested libraries of varying quality.

I wanted to ask your views on couple of points:

1. Should I force all libraries to have a require string that is of
the format 'supplier.module' ? The problem in enforcing this is that
it makes the distro incompatible with existing code. A better approach
may be to use the require string that the module provides but prohibit
any other use of the same module path. This is easy as I have control
over which libraries go in.

2. Folks that have experience with modules implemented as shared
libraries - what are the gotchas? I found two potential issues
already:

a) in some cases the shared library needs to be on OS specific
environment PATH (or library PATH), and
b) the path resolution doesn't seem to like it if the build adds a
'lib' prefix to the library (as it does on Mac OSX).

Maybe these aren't issues and just my ignorance on how this is meant
to work - happy to be corrected.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu