<lists@packetflux.com>:

> In addition, I personally find typedefs which just reiterate the type
> to be useless.   If you're going to go to the bother of defining
> a type, define a type, not just an alias for a existing type.

The bigger picture matters too.  The typedef adds a layer of abstraction
and of self-documentation.

For example, size_t, ptrdiff_t, etc all just define an alias, but you know
what they will be used for.

In llimits.h you find Instruction to be a typedef for unsigned either
integer or long, depending on a precompiler variable.

If Paige had chosen to emphasize that aspect, rather than the
code-golfing point of view, more people might have agreed sooner.