Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:

> On 1 February 2018 at 23:11, Joshua Jensen <josh.jjensen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 5) It has a bunch of Lua modules that I (and others) regularly use, and the
>> versions of those modules embedded in the Git repository work in concert
>> with one another. lrexlib is not at latest, for instance, because there were
>> some major API changes once, and they broke a ton of production scripts at
>> an organization. There also might be a submodule or two, but using them is
>> not a priority. When a Lua module needs a tweak for better behavior
>> (compilation issue/bugfix/Lua 5.3 support/whatever), I do it right there. I
>> manually upgrade Lua modules with WinMerge when needed. All of this is
>> happiness-inducing.
>
> I thought about copying the projects into my own repository like you
> have done, but it seems that one can achieve the same thing by forking
> a project and referencing it. The main advantage is that all the
> original history is retained.

Yes, preserving history is a great reason to fork repositories under GitHub.
According to some recent research[1] about 70% of all code on their platform
is duplicated via the fork mechanism. In reality even more code is probably
duplicated as they can't easily count code that is manually copy/pasted.

I have also forked LuaPlus for use in my own project as it does have some
functionality I will need at a future point as well. Thanks for sharing your
source Joshua, it is very appreciated!

One thing I did wonder about, on GitHub you have the URL http://luaplus.org/
listed, however, that URL just seems to redirect back to GitHub. Did you
have anything on that site in the past, or has it always just been a redir?

>> If any of these serve as strategies/policies/workflows/arrangements/whatever
>> for creating your Ravi distribution, then awesome. Steal as you see fit.
>
> Thank you - I will learn from your experiences. If you could point out
> what the pain points were that would be very helpful.

I am also interested in any extra information you may care to share!

~Paige

[1] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/21/github_duplicate_code/