Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not ARBITRARY files, but WoW scripts can access certain permitted files.
> I've seen scripts do I/O against a file that's managed by an external
> daemon process to provide broader functionality.
>
> In a pinch, you could use something like this.

Granted, it has been years since I've played WoW, however, the files we used
to be able to access were the ones specifically granted in the script config
file for saving state or loading static data.

Back when I played and wrote a number of AddOns there was no facility to
flush the contents of state out... I have done some cursory Google searching
and it appears this is still the case.

Any external daemons are simply just parsing the AddOn state Lua files,
which only save under WoW's control. The only other way to refresh data was
to execute an entire UI reload.

Usually game engines have a much more restricted environment, online ones
even more so, to help prevent against cheating or the theft of account
information via the scripting engine.

~Paige