The most downloaded list at luarocks.org can also be an indicative.

Based on that, I would say lua-cjson is also a good candidate

On 29 January 2018 at 09:27, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Is there a list of the best essential libraries for Lua?
> I want to bundle a small set of high quality
> libraries that I will test with Ravi, rather than a huge set of
> untested libraries of varying quality.

>From the end of 2013 to the end of 2016 I was running a website
called Lua Toolbox where community members could endorse
the modules they used. The website has been merged into
the main LuaRocks website and sadly this feature has been lost
in the process, but the top 5 modules at the time were:

- luafilesystem
- luasocket
- lpeg
- luarocks
- luaposix

I think they represent what I would expect in such a distribution
pretty well. Maybe not LuaRocks given that you want a different
build system, and maybe winapi as the pendent of luaposix for
Windows users... Some OpenSSL binding is also a must have.

--
Pierre Chapuis

--
Etiene Dalcol