Hi Grey Knight, (your email is marked as spam here)

I'm not looking for a language replacement. Lua is working perfectly fine for me. This is a rough proposed change that would hopefully solve many of the confusion around tables while at the same time reduce the complexity of Lua. (by reducing the complexity around varargs and more subjectively perhaps the ambiguity around tables vs arrays)

On 19 Jan 2018 13:28, "Grey Knight" <tinyplasticgreyknight@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Friday, January 19, 2018, 12:23:26 PM GMT, Elias Hogstvedt <eliashogstvedt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes it will break everything, so I don't really expect this to be
> implemented. Perhaps a new language?
> If you can imagine a new language or be okay with breaking changes, do you
> think these changes make sense?

Hi Elias,

I think that what you are looking for is a language with stronger typing than Lua has.  In such a language I think your expectations would be valid ones to have, it's just that Lua prefers to take a more "duck typing" approach to dealing with different interpretations of tables.

You mentioned the predominant "list" and "dictionary" interpretations of table, but we can also use them as objects, or classes, or even modules!

You should try some languages with stronger typing and see if they meet your needs well.

--
GK