On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 2:35 AM,  <tobias@justdreams.de> wrote:
> I guess you could call it late 20th-century attitude towards executable
> size ... or you could call it "ready for IOT" where size and efficiency
> will actually matter again.

Totally this. People pick up bad habits with computers with beefy
processors and gigs of memory, but there are small devices all around
us. The other day a colleague confessed that he was having a hard time
finding 16Kb for a TCP/IP stack in one of our devices.  That's life in
the fully embedded world. However, even little Linux devices can be
challenging - we have some ARM-powered stations underground, and it's
a shame to see how they struggle with the Salt Stack (which is a big
pile of Python). Lua would do the job as effectively and with more
modularity.

(offtopic: it _is_ possible to do lean and mean programs in Rust, but
conventional wisdom makes it hard - it says "It's so easy to add a
dependency with Cargo. This is not C++ anymore". Everything has
consequences, and there is always a price.  I don't think we've got to
that point with Luarocks, which isn't as universal in Lua as Cargo is
in Rust, and crates.io has an order of magnitude more packages than
Luarocks.  It is, in fact, a little _too easy_ to publish packages
with Cargo)