Yeah, it looks like I didn't RTFM close enough.

path/lua -e"_U=true" all.lua

Ran well of course.

But once I read the "Complete tests" section more closely, compiled the
test libs that was needed, and the suggestion from Dibyendu to try:

path/lua -e"_port=true" all.lua

The tests ran fine with that option.

Running without that option but with compiled test libs died after a bit:

path/lua all.lua

After re-reading the "Complete test" section I'm pondering how I would
re-write it to make it more clear/obvious. However, nothing springs to
mind at the moment. I'll let it simmer a bit and come back to it.

Thanks for the help everyone.