IMHO, since the offset is the first argument, it seems to me that it should be more important than the length, thus the above interpretation.

Regards,
Tomás

On 2017-09-18 15:18, tobias@justdreams.de wrote:
Hi there,

I'm designing a library which has a Buffer module that allows to
contain binary data.  Think of it as a string just with less features
:-P ... except it is mutable.  Now I'm writing a companion module
called Buffer.Segment that allows access to just a limited part of the
 buffer which is defined by an offset and a length.  I'd plan the API
look like this:

b  = Buffer( 1024 )      -- buffer with 124 bytes
s  = Segment( b )        -- creates a segment starting at the first
byte of the buffer as long as the buffer itself
s1 = Segment( 128, 256 ) -- Segment with 128 byte offset and 256 bytes length
s2 = Segment( 439 )      -- this is the question, shall this be:

                     - a segment starting at byte 439 and have a
length to the end of the buffer, or
- a segment starting at first byte being 439 bytes long

I don't think there is a 'right' answer, but to all those people who
work with this kind of stuff, what would feel more natural to you?
Also, does Segment( offset, length ) makes more sense than Segment(
length, offset ) ?

Thanks for the input,

 - Tobias