On 9/16/2017 12:47 PM, Dirk Laurie wrote:

I am happy to announce a long-overdue new release of LuaFileSystem.
It supports Lua 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3.

LuaFileSystem is a Lua library developed to complement the set of
functions related to file systems offered by the standard Lua
distribution. LuaFileSystem offers a portable way to access the
underlying directory structure and file attributes.

Of all the many excellent Lua modules available on LuaRocks, this is the
one whose capabilities are most urgently needed in Lua 5.4. If it would
need a caveat about system dependence, so be it: we already have that
for two existing routines in the io library.

I think we should throw more code portability out of the window for Windows. Most of the rest can use some sort of modern Unix or POSIX standard.

On the one hand, there is a desire for this sort of full featured filesystem library capability. On the other hand, a desire to continue sticking to portable code will leave LuaFileSystem or any sort of file I/O library with the usual limitations on Windows.

Bypassing legacy library calls will get us a proper feature set. UTF-8 filenames. Bypass the MAX_PATH limitation. Those sort of things.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)