> > I see two arguments in this thread versus proposal:
> >
> > * "operating systems do it that way"
> > * string parsing is easy
>
> You miss a most compelling third: it is a breaking change. It will
> affect all programs that currently modify/change package.path.

Another argument is that it is simpler, both to explain and to
implement. The concept and the handling (and the documentation) of
string pathes are unavoidable, because that is how they exist outside
Lua (e.g., in environment variables).  With the change, we get two
concepts (and two representations to be manipulated and documented) for
the same thing.

-- Roberto