I'm trying to build a multiprocess program in Lua. Are there any libraries for launching subprocesses and polling their status?

It needs to work on Windows and POSIX, accept a table of unescaped arguments (with spaces and quotes and so on), and support polling (i.e. nonblocking status check).

I'm not too worried about things like environment variables and stuff. I could use them to pass the manager's socket ID but I can also just use tweaked arguments for those.

I'm using Lua 5.1.