On 26 July 2017 at 19:42, Jakub Jirutka <jakub@jirutka.cz> wrote:
> I know about LuLPeg, but I’ve used LPeg just as an example. I’m interesting
> about general support of Lua/C modules. Is it currently somehow possible?

The motivations one uses Lua/C modules are either for extra speed, or
for interfacing with existing libraries. For the first motivation,
going through Emscripten and then the Lua/C API and run the whole
thing on top of JS would probably be slower than writing a module
directly in Lua; the approach for critical speed would be to write
something in JavaScript instead and go through Fengari's Lua/JS API.
For the second motivation, I suppose most existing libraries one would
want to interact with in a browser would be existing JS libraries, and
not C libraries. For a lot of C libraries, it wouldn't make sense to
port them into the browser, but for those that can be compiled into JS
libraries via Emscripten, I suppose one can bind them to Lua via the
Lua/JS API, but the binding module needs to be rewritten (from C to
JS).

The linked article mentions that the approach of compiling Lua C code
into the browser via Emscripten makes you end up with two garbage
collectors. For this reason, simply building both a C library and its
Lua/C binding with Emscripten and expecting them to work with Fengari
doesn't sound feasible. But the approach I described above, in which
the C library is compiled into JS and a Lua/JS binding is
custom-written for it, does (unless I'm missing something—the Fengari
authors will surely correct me if that's the case).

-- Hisham