Hi Russell,
On 07/21/2017 08:48 PM, Russell Haley wrote:
Hi,

I've built lua a bunch of times on TrueOS (aka FreeBSD 12-Current)
using the files from git. I usually mangle the Makefile myself to use
clang and make it install where I want to.

Anyway, I have an arm board with FreeBSD 12-Current on it. I tried
building from the tarball provided by the lua.org website. I modified
the Makefile to use clang because, well, this is FreeBSD! I added the
CC=cc flag from osx target to the freebsd.

Lua 5.3.4 is available as a package/port. Depending on your board, you might be able to do pkg install lua53.

If not, here's the makefile on how the port is build, it might give you an idea of what to do:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/lang/lua53/Makefile?view=markup&pathrev=435741

Let us know how to goes.