On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> (In your nitpicking, you forgot to mention that the debug information is also different in the two versions :-)

I am not nitpicking and I am sorry to have made that impression. I used that to demonstrate that there was more than just a syntactical difference. In retrospect, I can say that perhaps it was not necessary because you did not mean there was only a syntactical difference.

> Anyway, my point was that it is not "Lua" who does the adjustment, it is the function itself. Adjustment is not a general property of the language, but a property of non-vararg Lua functions, which do the adjustment when they do the equivalent to that initial assignment.

Well, I still think this is a language feature, but we are debating terminology here.

As I said in the previous message, the disconnect is that what is documented as a non-vararg function, behaves as a vararg function. And the other disconnect is in your assumption that the readers of the manual should know better than to expect that the "standard library" functions behave like ordinary non-vararg Lua functions. The starter of this thread obviously had a different assumption, and so did I in the past.

Cheers,
V.