> Well, except that you might do something like tostring(myfunction())
> where myfunction() usually returns one value but sometimes returns no
> values.

In that case, why would you knowingly tostring() a function when one of its
normal results causes an error?

> Note that the second argument must be present. It is not marked as optional.

I concede that much, and I have nothing further to argue. Forgive my
frustration; I've loved using Lua for several years and this is the first time
I've ever come across such an inconsistency. I was very excited to be able to
provide a quality-of-life improvement to my favorite programming language.

Thank you for your prompt and measured responses.

Regards,
Nathaniel