> I was looking to see if Lua ever had a distinct array type, and
> reading the hopl paper it seems that Lua 1.1 indeed had distinct array
> and table types but the two types were merged to a single table type
> in Lua 2.1.

That is not true. Lua 1.1 had distinct notations for constructors of
arrays (lists) and records, but the underling table was already the same:

    So we took SOL’s syntax for record and list construction [...],
    and unified their implementation using tables: records use strings
    (the field names) as indices; lists use natural numbers

-- Roberto