>> Which new features are to be expected for lua? Classes, strong typing,
>> arrow function, list comprehension, etc.

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
<lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> None of these is planned for a future version of Lua.
> See also https://www.lua.org/faq.html#1.4 .

The FAQ does not mention any specifics.

Are the Lua authors at present contemplating any changes whatsoever
for a future version of Lua, be it either 5.4 or 6.0?  I ask because I
am not aware of what those changes might be.  In years past, I was
aware of discussions about _ENV, integers, goto, etc.  But all those
changes have been made and are in Lua 5.3.  I have absolutely no idea
what sort of possible future features, if any, are being contemplated
or considered.

I have heard (vague?) talk about:

1) Moving LPeg into Lua.
2) Adding macros.
3) Adding a JIT.

Regrading LPeg: At a glance, I don't see the benefits.  LPeg seems to
work just fine as a module.

Regarding macros: I don't remember hearing any specific proposals.
And discussion of macros may have been many years ago.

Regarding a JIT:  My sense is the Lua authors have other priorities.

So... I really have no idea what might be added in Lua 5.4 or Lua 6.0.

Cheers,

Parke