From: Soni L.
Sent: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:02 PM
To: Lua mailing list
Reply To: Lua mailing list
Subject: [Bug] Wording

The manual says "The type table implements associative arrays, that is,
arrays that can be indexed not only with numbers, but with any Lua value
except nil and NaN."

I believe this would be better worded as "The type table implements
associative arrays, that is, arrays that can have as indices not only
numbers, but any Lua value except nil and NaN."

The truth is, v=t[nil] and t[nil]=v both are valid Lua code, except the
latter errors because *a nil index cannot exist*. More specifically, you
cannot *create* a nil index, but you can check for its existence. Same
for NaN.

This wording more accurately represents the reference implementation,
and I believe this is intended behaviour.