On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could never understand the need for extra characters in ascii until reading your post and then seeing a picture of a business listing in a 1960 phone book produced with and ACE machine (it was formatted in a box... that had to come from specific character slugs to create the mold for printing! I saw it in the second link in Paul's gochipmunk.com reference).

The ACE Elektron was the peak of hot metal linecasting equipment. Lots
of bells  and whistles. But even the average Linotype machine had
something on the order of 20,000 moving parts. They  were  lots of fun
to use and maintain. You'll find a better view of the basic
linecasting function here.
<http://www.gochipmunk.com/html/teletypeperf3.html>.

I often miss the hot metal typography days.

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]