Thanks, this one satisfies the conditions. Unfortunately, it is
too strict for the JSON produced by the webpage. Example:
   [{"items":[];"date": "2017-04-15"}]
produces
   nil    Missing a comma or '}' after an object member. (12)
I'm not a JSON expert, so can't comment on the validity of the
original string, but I have no control over the webpage that
produces it.

In the meantlime, by Murphy's Law, the PHP page has thrown up
an nested list, so the fallback decoder is now:

 function json_decode (s)
    local function do_json_list(s,is_list)
      if is_list then s = s:sub(2,-2) end
      s = s:gsub("(%b[])()",do_json_list)
      if is_list then s = '{' .. s ..'}' end
      return s
    end
    local t = load('return '..do_json_list(s):gsub('("[%w_-]-"):','[%1]='))
    if t then return t() else return s end
  end