On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Rain Gloom <raingloom42@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lanes already solves that afaik, there is also
> [Eris](https://github.com/fnuecke/eris) that can serialize just about
> anything. But neither of those have shared mutable state across threads.
> Well, that's not entirely tru because lindas in Lanes are shared, but they
> are just used for sending stuff between threads.

Yes, I wanted to point out Lanes as well, as an honourable exception.

And many argue that share-nothing concurrency is superior.

No reason why shared references to _user data_ could not be allowed,
although of course they need to be protected by a mutex. I like the
Rust approach, where you temporally get a mutable reference and
promise to give it back quickly